Welcome to the Texas Rugby Referee Association (TRRA) Corner. Here you will find anything and everything about becoming a referee, getting assignments etc.
Thanks for visiting us!
- Enroll and complete the USA Rugby Level 1 Officiating – Introduction to Officiating Course.
- CIPP with USA Rugby:
- To receive match appointments you must CIPP with USA Rugby. Make sure you CIPP under ‘Texas Rugby Referee Association’.
- Dual CIPP – If you are a current player, coach or contact with your team you will need to Dual CIPP with USA Rugby. Don’t register again, use this link. If that link is broken, follow these directions:
Go to USArugby.org
Click on Member Resources
On the drop down list click on Membership Forms
On the list of forms click on Dual Role Registration
- TRRA Member Dues:
- $50 per year and is included when you CIPP with USA Rugby.
- TRRA Master Contact List: Add/Confirm that your contact information is correct on this sheet. All referees can update this directory by logging in with your TRU account.
- Referee Checklists: Great checklist that covers everything from pre-match to game management. Review often.
- TRU Feedburner: Sign up to receive TRU Email updates. Go to http://texasrugbyunion.com and put your email in the top right box labeled ‘SIGN UP FOR EMAIL UPDATES!’.
- Referee Corner: Familiarize yourself with the Referee Corner on the TRU website, particularly the Documents tab.
- TRRA Facebook Group: Join our group here, we use this forum to discuss law interpretations, continuing education and getting to know our fellow referees,
- TRU Email Account: To receive match assignments you must have a TRU email account. This should be automatically assigned to you and info will be sent shortly after your Referee Course. If not, contact [email protected].
- All match appointments and TRRA announcements will go to your TRU email account. We would highly recommend that you forward your TRU account to your personal email account. If you choose not to forward your TRU account to your personal email, you are responsible for checking your TRU email often.
- Match assignments will come in the form of Google Calendar invites, please click Yes or No ASAP so the schedulers will be alerted.
- TRU Calendar: Each season update your TRU Calendar within a timely manner. Typically these timeframes are January, May (7s) and July…TRRA will send out reminders each season.NOTE: If your calendar is not filled out, you may not receive match assignments.
- Match Confirmation: The Schedulers are working to have matches assigned 30 days out.NOTE: Schedulers will not send a confirmation email/phone call once you’ve replied to the calendar invite. We would recommend checking the TRU Calendar for match confirmation. Click on the event, More details and it should say Confirmed Ref: ‘NAME’.
Pre Game Day
- Teams should send a confirmation by email to your TRU account or call by Monday of the week of the assigned match. Please reply to the team to let them know you are confirmed as soon as possible.
NOTE: Teams are instructed to wait until Wednesday for your reply, if a reply is not received, they are to contact the Referee Scheduler for another referee.
- If the team does not send you a confirmation, DO NOT go to the match. Please alert [email protected] so we can contact the team.
- Ensure that playing field adheres to TRU Field Policies. This includes but is not limited to:
- Sideline barriers/ropes are required at any match (friendly, social, tournament, league etc.).
- Barriers/ropes must be a minimum of 5m from the touchline, try line to try line.
- Only ONE Coach/Rep inside rope.
- Collect CIPP Roster
- Ensure this form has their front row players highlighted.NOTE: No club will be allowed to play any players who are not listed on their specific clubs USA CIPP roster.
- Keep this documentation in case of Disciplinary or other Eligibility concerns.
- Collect Front Row Waiver Form from all teams.NOTE: Teams from outside Texas do not have to have this form.
- Confirm scores and discipline issues with both teams before leaving the venue.
Post Game Day
- Submit Match Report within 72 hours so you can receive your match fee payment!
- Submit any Discipline Issues within 72 hours.NOTE: Please review the TRU Disciplinary Regulations and Procedures.
- Video: Request that coaches share video of your match for review if applicable.
Match Fee Policies
If assigned by TRRA to referee or assistant referee, you will receive a match fee. Please review the Match Fee Policies.
Referee Pathways & Standards
Refer to the TRRA Referee Pathways & Standards.
TRRA Coaching Report/Evaluations
The Referee Advancement & Training Organization (RATO) aims to provide referees with higher level referee mentors and certified referee Coaches. Referees will receive periodic coaching reports from these individuals; however, we highly encourage them to request completion of the TRRA Referee Assessment form by teams.
Referee Assessment: Completed by teams to review and provide feedback on a referee’s performance. Details are sent to RATO and feedback will be provided to referee.
Coaching Report: Completed by a Certified Referee Coach to grade a referee’s performance. Details are sent to RATO and feedback will be provided to referee.
Evaluations: Completed by a Certified Referee Evaluator to promote a referee’s grade. Details are sent to RATO and feedback will be provided to referee. Formal Evaluations are scheduled by RATO when referees meet Referee Pathway/Standards and are ready for promotion of grade.
Referee Exchanges are handled by the Referee Advancement & Training Organization (RATO). Please contact them for more details.
- IRB Law Book Download
- Law Exam – How well do you the laws? You will need to register for a free IRB Passport account to take the exam.
- Referee Checklists – Great materials that covers everything from pre-match to game management. Review often.
- Continuing Education for TRRA Referees - IRB Memorandums & examples of actual refereeing situations, used to help with training referees and maintaining consistency throughout our union.
- USA Rugby Referee Resources